Saturday, October 13, 2012

You Never Know

I'm choking back tears. My heart sinks a little more with each post I read on his Facebook page.
"Every time i saw you, you always had a smile on your face."
"You are loved by many, one of the happiest kids I've known, always joking around."
"You were such an amazing guy with a personality that lit up a room."
"Happy thoughts are what cross people's minds when they think of you."
"I've never met anyone like you, always accepted people for who they were."
"You were one of the happiest people I've known, always brought up the mood and brought everyone together."
"He was a brother to me, and I just lost him."

It blows my mind. I am honestly so shocked right now. How could somebody who was so incredibly loved feel compelled to take his own life? He was the light in so many people's lives. This young man had such a good heart, and anyone who spoke to him even for a second would know. I sat next to him in my U.S. History class during my junior year of high school. I remember we shared the same birthday and that he always said "thank you" when the teacher handed out papers and that my friend had a crush on him for two years. He had such an endearing charm and always made the class laugh. It just goes to show that you never know what battles someone is fighting underneath their smiles and laughter. They may seem like the most happy, confident, life-loving person. But that's just on the outside. Everyone has struggles; you never know what someone might be going through at any given moment. You know that kid who always eats lunch by himself? Invite him to sit with you. Lend a hand. Listen to their story. Be there for them, always. Make them realize that they are infinitely loved and, most importantly, they are not alone. You have no idea how much of an impact your words and actions can have on someone; it could be the difference between life and death. If there's even the slightest possibility that my actions can save someone's life, I will do whatever it takes.
Every 13.7 minutes, someone in the United States commits suicide. That is absolutely sickening to me. No one ever deserves to feel so helpless that death is the best option. Ever.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
xx Kristin

1 comment :

  1. I love this. I think everyone in Folsom would appreciate you for writing this. We'll all miss Chris.

    ReplyDelete